This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Licensing/OS Question

Jan 20, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Hey all,

Github has removed the ability to send private messages and I was trying to get into contact with one of the creators but maybe someone here can help. I am pretty new to the open source world and I was wondering if the following is allowed and what specifically do I need to worry about as to not cause any complications.

I have made a few functions that extend off the MathNetNumerics Matrix class and I would like to host them on a repository. First off, do I need explicit permission from the creators to do something like this? Second, their license is an MIT license, I would therefore need to use that same license verbatim when hosting my class extension on my repo too, correct?

I apologize if these questions are obvious to many, I've done extensive searches before postingand I don't want to run into any trouble. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Jan 21, 2013 at 1:18 PM

The MIT license is a very permissive license and you can basically do whatever you want with the software. The only requirement is that if you redistribute the code (in source or binary binary) you have to include a copy of the copyright/license file with the distribution.

>First off, do I need explicit permission from the creators to do something like this?
No, the license already grants you that permission. 

>Second, their license is an MIT license, I would therefore need to use that same
>license verbatim when hosting my class extension on my repo too, correct?
No, your code can be licensed under any license you want. You just cannot change the license on the Math.NET Numerics code (or strip out the copyright). If you want your code to be merged back into Math.NET Numerics, it will need to be MIT licensed. 

Marked as answer by cdrnet on 10/3/2013 at 5:51 PM
Jan 21, 2013 at 4:27 PM

See also http://www.tldrlegal.com/license/mit-license