API Reference out-of-date

Apr 25, 2013 at 7:36 PM
Edited Apr 26, 2013 at 4:00 PM
The API Reference is terribly out of date -- based on 2.1.2.21 when the current version is 2.5.0.27. I say terribly because the source-embedded documentation has apparently gotten much better over that time! Why not update it where people look for it?
Coordinator
Apr 26, 2013 at 12:31 PM
Indeed, I've just regenerated it for v2.5.0.

I also fixed a bug in docu (some open source doc generation engine we use) that caused a lot of methods to be omitted previously, so the reference should be much more complete now.

Thanks,
Christoph
Marked as answer by cdrnet on 10/3/2013 at 5:40 PM
Apr 26, 2013 at 6:12 PM
So it appears that docu doesn't put show documentation for inherited members -- it would be handy if it included their documentation (as doxygen can be instructed to do) or at least linked to their documentation (as doxygen otherwise does).

For example, looking at DenseMatrix.Add you wouldn't know that there actually is documentation for it as Matrix<T>.Add.

Maybe I can convince you to switch to doxygen? :P The results are less spartan (perhaps even bloated), but they're also quite a bit more useable in my opinion.
Coordinator
Apr 26, 2013 at 8:08 PM
Yes, I've noticed that as well. It also doesn't flag obsolete members yet which can be confusing (e.g. DenseMatrix.Data vs .Values). I'm working on a fix within docu, not too hard but needs some refactoring first (wish it was written in F#...).

I used to kind of hate doxygen-style docs 6-7 years ago when I last tried, but I guess it has improved since (or can be configured accordingly) and is worth a new trial :)
Coordinator
Apr 27, 2013 at 5:39 PM
I've fixed docu and uploaded a new build. It should now include inherited members, list static methods separately and warn prominently on anything that has been marked as obsolete.
Marked as answer by cdrnet on 10/3/2013 at 5:40 PM