This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

SVN mirror

Apr 24, 2010 at 12:12 AM

Hi,

I've got a few projects that are SVN based and I'm planning on using this as the basis for my math library. I've been downloading the version into my projects, but SVN's externals are a great way to go so that I don't have to have a long series of steps that a new developer has to do in order to get started. They can just check out my project and it will automatically check out the dependent projects.

I see you have a SVN mirror project... however, it seems like the last update was changeset #197, sometime in November of 2009 or so. While looking at the codeplex git logs it looks like early Feb of this year was the last update, and the code that sits on github has very recent updates. I'm, in particular, interested in the silverlight versions, which must have come in after changeset #197. I don't suppose the svn mirror has accidentally become broken, has it? I'm not asking for lots of extra work, just if that mirror is supposed to work if it could be made to work.

If not, you might consider removing it from the home page for this library.

Apr 24, 2010 at 6:09 AM

Hi,

In regards to Silverlight (Chris will need to address the SVN mirror issue), I'll be moving it over to Silverlight 4 within the next week. Also, the code compiles with the Silverlight SDK but hasn't been tested with Silverlight - which I found in another project doesn't mean much, it still failed in the actual runtime.

We are using MbUnit for our unit tests and it doesn't support Silverlight.  The only framework I'm aware of that acutal tests on the Silverlight runtime is Microsoft Silverlight Unit Test Framework.  I plan on using it to write a seperate set on unit tests. So, you might run into issues with the Silverlight version of the library. If you do, please let me know and I'll try to correct the problems as soon as possible.

Regards,

Marcus

Apr 24, 2010 at 7:57 AM

Hi Marcus,

Thanks for the quick response. We are mostly interested in the distributions part of the library. It sounds like the right thing to do is get a version working under normal .NET and once that is working try to port over to SL4 (which I need to port the GUI over to sometime soon as well). So I'll let you know when we run into any troubles, and thanks a lot for your efforts!

I'd not heard about MbUnit before. I hunted around a little and couldn't find a "getting started" thing to tell me what the basics were. Is there such a thing (the "book" is mostly empty and the online docs is all the detailed reference).

BTW, I've used the SL unit test framework. It works and has had enough functionality for me doing some private math library testing. I hope you are able to find a way to make writing the test code common between the two systems - otherwise keeping the tests up to date is going to be very painful. :( :(

Apr 24, 2010 at 3:01 PM

Hi,

MbUnit is part of Gallio. Here is a link to their documentaiton page : http://www.gallio.org/Docs.aspx

Apr 24, 2010 at 3:33 PM
gwatts wrote:

We are mostly interested in the distributions part of the library.

Hey,

We're porting a number of distributions we previously had in dnAnalytics and Iridium. I'd be happy to prioritize based on your needs. Definitely let us know (say in the issue tracker) what kind of distributions you'd like to see ...

Cheers, Jurgen

Apr 25, 2010 at 5:16 PM

Concerning the SVN Mirror at googlecode: working on it right now, it should be back up to date shortly.

Apr 25, 2010 at 6:25 PM

Thanks - I saw that docs link - it is very hard to find anything on there for someone that isn't familiar with the system. You know - a hello world sample.

Apr 25, 2010 at 6:33 PM
jvangael wrote:
gwatts wrote:

We are mostly interested in the distributions part of the library.

Hey,

We're porting a number of distributions we previously had in dnAnalytics and Iridium. I'd be happy to prioritize based on your needs. Definitely let us know (say in the issue tracker) what kind of distributions you'd like to see ...

Cheers, Jurgen

The two we need for this first simple project is just the Poisson and Gaussian distribution. What is particularly important - especially in the case of the Gaussian - is that we have some way to integratete the propability under the curve from infinity to some point. I think Math.NET has all of this for these two already, doesn't it? For the next project we might need something more sophisticated, but we'll cross that bridge then. Thanks!

Apr 25, 2010 at 8:57 PM

Hi,

We do have functions that compute the cumulative probability for most classes for which this computation is not too complex: the Gaussian is certainly one of them. I'll add the Poisson distribution this week as we don't have it ported just yet!

Cheers, J

Apr 25, 2010 at 9:41 PM

FYI: The SVN mirror at google is up to date again (revision 340 matches 4ca098eb)

Apr 26, 2010 at 8:04 AM
jvangael wrote:

I'll add the Poisson distribution this week as we don't have it ported just yet!

Ah, brilliant. Thanks a lot! I'll keep my eyes open for it.

Apr 26, 2010 at 8:05 AM
cdrnet wrote:

FYI: The SVN mirror at google is up to date again (revision 340 matches 4ca098eb)

Thanks, it looks good. I'll do my best to test that sometime later this evening. Will it automatically keep up-to-date, or is this something you have to do manually?

Apr 26, 2010 at 11:25 AM
gwatts wrote:
cdrnet wrote:

Thanks, it looks good. I'll do my best to test that sometime later this evening. Will it automatically keep up-to-date, or is this something you have to do manually?

Right now it is manual, but only because I still have not migrated to the new build/integration server yet (some delay there, sorry for that). The same is true for the codeplex mirror and the automatic build releases.

Apr 26, 2010 at 11:59 AM
cdrnet wrote:

Right now it is manual, but only because I still have not migrated to the new build/integration server yet (some delay there, sorry for that). The same is true for the codeplex mirror and the automatic build releases.

Cool - well thanks for the extra manual work! And I'll just bump this thread if something new comes out (like the Poisson distribution) that we need and that hasn't been mirrored. And, really, we should be thanking you guys for helping us out - this is a lot better than writing it ourselves from scratch!

May 4, 2010 at 11:33 PM

Any progress with the Poisson distribution? If not, is there something we could do to help? We could do a first pass at the port if you want.

May 5, 2010 at 12:15 PM
Thanks, I could have a look at it as well. Looks like Poisson depends on the Factorial and regularized Gamma functions, need to check. Concerning SVN: It seems the direct SVN proxy support at github was not an april fool's joke after all, this might simplify our mirror in the future (or even render it unnecessary). The current mirror update is scripted, but fails from time to time (perl errors, failed merges etc), requiring manual recovery that would be rather difficult to automate.
May 5, 2010 at 12:59 PM
Was going to start this tomorrow but Chris, feel free to take a stab at it first then I will keep writing the user guide. Last week I introduced a pretty strong test to make sure the distributions actually sample the correct thing (and found a bug in our Student-T!). I will commit this to mainline tonight. J
May 5, 2010 at 2:37 PM

Thanks for all the work! I'll keep watching the updates and this message board! Let us know if there is somethign we can do to help!